Straight Talk iPhone
From HowardForums Wiki
|Revision as of 11:48, 15 February 2012
(→Data & MMS)
← Previous diff
|Revision as of 02:58, 16 February 2012
(→Data & MMS)
Next diff →
|Line 20:||Line 20:|
|* 2. Click on continue||* 2. Click on continue|
|* 3. Click on Custom APN||* 3. Click on Custom APN|
|-||* 4. Type in att.mvno in the APN field||+||* 4. Choose Country "United States" and Carrier "Straight Talk|
|-||* 5. Leave the user name, pasword and carrier fields blank||+||* 5. Click on create profile, then install the profile.|
|-||* 6. Click on create profile, then install the profile.||+|
|If you want MMS to work, you will need to first jailbreak your iPhone. Jailbreak is currently available for all iPhones on iOS 5.0.1 and below. Please search on the Internet for how to jailbreak your iPhone and the iOS version, there are many guides available. An excellent noob friendly site with walkthroughs containing pictures, text and video is located here:||If you want MMS to work, you will need to first jailbreak your iPhone. Jailbreak is currently available for all iPhones on iOS 5.0.1 and below. Please search on the Internet for how to jailbreak your iPhone and the iOS version, there are many guides available. An excellent noob friendly site with walkthroughs containing pictures, text and video is located here:|
Revision as of 02:58, 16 February 2012
This is a tutorial on using an AT&T iPhone or unlocked iPhone on Straight Talk with their $45/mo unlimited plan.
The Android guide is located here
If you have any questions about this, the discussion thread on Hofo is located here
What you need
- 1. A Straight Talk SIM http://www.straighttalksim.com
- 2. An AT&T iPhone, any model. It doesn't need to be unlocked. It does need to be jailbroken to get MMS (picture messaging) to work. If you don't care about MMS, then calls, texts, and data will work just fine without jailbreaking your iPhone.
- If you use an iPhone from a different carrier (i.e. not AT&T), make sure it's unlocked.
- You can also use a factory unlocked iPhone for this.
Activate the Straight Talk SIM on any iPhone as you would any other phone on Straight Talk; there is nothing special here that needs to be done. For the iPhone 4 and 4S, you will need to order a micro SIM, available from http://straighttalksim.com.
Data & MMS
To get cellular data working:
- 1. Go to http://unlockit.co.nz from your iPhone (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) while on WiFi. Alternative instructions for non jailbroken/stock devices are provided after this section.
- 2. Click on continue
- 3. Click on Custom APN
- 4. Choose Country "United States" and Carrier "Straight Talk
- 5. Click on create profile, then install the profile.
If you want MMS to work, you will need to first jailbreak your iPhone. Jailbreak is currently available for all iPhones on iOS 5.0.1 and below. Please search on the Internet for how to jailbreak your iPhone and the iOS version, there are many guides available. An excellent noob friendly site with walkthroughs containing pictures, text and video is located here: http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak. Also can try here http://www.redmondpie.com/category/iPhone.
- 1. On your jailbroken iPhone, launch Cydia
- 2. Search for TetherME, then purchase it for $5 and install it
- 3. After TetherMe is installed, exit Cydia and go to your home screen
- 4. Open Settings > General > Network, then click on "Cellular Data Network"
- Note: If you get TetherME then you don't need to go to unlockit website as TetherME allows you to set all the settings.
This is what your settings should look like. Fill in the fields on your iPhone as follows:
- Cellular Data
- APN: att.mvno
- APN: att.mvno
- MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
- MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
- MMS Max Size: 1048576
- MMS UA Prof URL:
Alternative Method for getting MMS and DATA on iPhone 4S
- Do the Above steps to any version iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4
- Make sure mms and data is working on your old iphone before proceeding
- Connect old iPhone to Itunes, right click on the phone from iTunes and select "Backup"
- Disconnect Old Iphone and now connect Iphone 4S to iTunes
- Now click on iPhone 4s and right click and restore from backup that you just created
- MMS and DATA will now work on Iphone 4S
Alternative Method for getting MMS and DATA on stock factory unlocked iPhone 4S
- Don't do any of the above data related steps. Don't need old iPhone backups either.
- Don't need unlockit or TetherMe. Don't need a jailbreak. Remove unlockit APN profile if you tried it.
- Tools needed: A T-Mobile prepaid sim card. Doesn't need data, just an active one with starter minutes is fine. Cost 3 bucks.
- Make sure the ST SIM is activated on the e71 side and made sure all features (voice, data, messaging, etc.) are functioning properly there.
- After the iPhone 4S boots up with the ST SIM installed launch any app, for example lauch the notes app.
- Now go to General->Network on the iPhone. Make sure Cellular Data button is set to ON.
- Open the SIM tray and swap in the cut down prepaid T-Mobile SIM.
- Give it a moment to activate and then in General->Network a new Cellular Data settings menu will appear. Click into the menu option and you will notice that all the cellular setting fields are blank. Stay within this screen for now.
- While still on the settings screen swap out the T-Mobile SIM and place in the ST SIM.
- After a couple seconds use the 4S home button multi tasking ability to swap to the notes app. Wait a couple seconds and switch back to the the settings app.
- At this point you will be right back at the celluar settings screen but now the ST SIM put info in many of the empty fields. But these are the wrong settings so proceed to correct them using the recommended settings above including the mms settings.
- Now switch back and forth between the notes app and settings app to make sure the settings are not dissapearing.
- Once confirmed, exit the cellular data menu and the celluar data setting menu option will vanish from General->Network. Don't worry.
- Lastly toggle airplane mode off and back on.
- At this point all the features should work text, data, MMS. Send some test SMS and MMS to various phones. Also test reception.
- After all the test works reboot the phone and verify that all the stuff still works.
- Removing the SIM card most likely will require you to repeat the above steps not sure.
Please note that visual voicemail is not supported on Straight Talk. You will still get a notification after a caller leaves you a voicemail message, but the iPhone's built-in voicemail app will just dial in to your Straight Talk voicemail service, and you will have to listen to the audible menu to navigate around your messages.
If you want full visual voicemail functionality on your Straight Talk iPhone (plus some extra features), just download the free YouMail app from the iPhone App Store. After you set up a YouMail account and try out the app, if you like it, you can easily replace the iPhone's built-in voicemail with YouMail by using Cydia on any jailbroken phone.
Change Carrier Name
If you don't like how your iPhone says "HOME" on the top left for the carrier, you can download "Fake Operator" or "Fake Carrier"from Cydia to change it. The app will allow you change it to "AT&T" or anything you would like. You will need to restart your iPhone for it to take effect. Heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCfzY00QlBg
Even though Straight Talk advertises this plan as being Unlimited, numerous people have been cut off for using a lot of data. Bottom line is do not abuse your data on Straight Talk, if you do, they will close your account or disable your data. It is generally considered safe to use 2GB a month and 100MB a day. You can use My Data Usage Pro (among others) from the Appstore to keep track of your data usage.
There is a discussion about this and more tips on this matter here
Calling Customer Service
Tracfone has a Miami Corporate Office which offers better support than their regular Customer Service: 1-800-876-5753. Another good support avenue is through their Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/StraightTalkWireless