- Modes: CDMA 850/CDMA 1900
- Weight: 3.26 oz (92 g)
- Dimensions: 3.89" x 1.93" x 0.58" (99 x 49 x 15 mm)
- Form Factor: Clamshell
- Internal Antenna
- Battery Life (Talk): 3.67 hours (220 minutes)
- Battery Life (Standby): 398 hours (16.6 days)
- Battery Type: LiPolymer 800 mAh
- Display Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
- Colors: 262,144 (18-bit)
- Size: 176 x 220 pixels
- Memory: 23.6MB (??)
- Phone Book Capacity: 500
- FCC ID: BEJVX8600 (Approved Jun 7, 2006)
Source(s): LG Features support
This phone has A-GPS and works with VZW Nav for navigation.
- Digital TTY/TDD
- Hearing Aid Compatible w/ M3 rating
- Multiple Languages
- Front External Display (65,000-color TFT LCD / 160 x 128 pixels)
- Polyphonic Ringtones
- Bluetooth 1.1 (Supported Profiles: HFP, HSP, DUN, OPP, FTP, A2DP, AVRC)
- Multiple Numbers per Name: 5 plus 2 email addresses
- Picture ID
- Ringer ID
- Voice Dialing
- Custom Graphics
- Custom Ringtones
Data & Network
- Flight Mode
- Packet Data (Technology: 1xEV-DO r0)
- WAP / Web Browser
- Predictive Text Entry (T9)
- Side Keys
- Memory Card Slot (Card Type: microSD / TransFlash)
- 2-way Text Messaging
- Text Messaging Templates
- Music Player (Supported Formats: MP3, WMA)
Photo & Video
- Camera Resolution: 1+ megapixel (self-timer, white balance, night mode functions)
- Streaming Video
- Video Capture (Max. Length: 1 hour / QCIF resolution / 3GPP2 format)
- Tip Calculator
- Voice Memo (up to 1 minute each / plus call recording up to 5 minutes)
- Speaker Phone
Low Speaker Volume
Many people are experiencing low speaker phone volumes. As of now there is no fix for it but future firmware upgrades may solve this problem.
Hook Up Your Headphones
NOTE: According to http://vx8500.rowdyruff.net/faq.php you cannot buy the adapter from radioshack because the ones they sell don't have enough conductors on the 2.5mm end.
You will need a microSD card which can be purchased online
This has become pretty simple and there's no real need for the Music Essentials Kit. All you have to do is transfer MP3 files to your microSD card under the my_music folder.
Note: Filenames must be less than 32 characters and can not contain any punctuation besides the dash (-) and underscore (_).
Mods & Hacks
Ringtones w/ Bluetooth & SD Card
- Using Audacity, crop songs to about 30 seconds, mono, lower to -6 gain, export as MP3
- Copy all your ringers over to a folder on your SD card called "ringers" with no caps
No Password for Voice Mail
This makes checking your voicemail extremely easy, but it's not recommended if you're worried about people checking your voicemail from your phone.
- Menu->Messaging (or from default menu select left soft key (Message)
- Left Soft Key (settings)
- All Msg (1)
- Voicemail # (4)
- Change the number to *86 then hit the right soft key to select pause and hit 2 to insert a 2-Sec Pause, do this twice then enter your password followed by a # symbol. The final number should look like *86PP<PASSWORD>#
After downloading a free trial of VZW Navigator, it will expire of course. But you can go into BitPim and delete a file, allowing you to download another free trial. Browse to / > brew > sys > priv and delete the prefs.dat file. After disconnecting from BitPim and rebooting, you should be able to go back into GIN and download another free week of VZW Navigator. Source: HowardForums:DrkDad22
In / > bootlogo, you can get rid of the VCast animation when you turn on and off your phone. There is a sequence of jpgs within each of the open and close folders. There are 23 opening and 14 closing jpgs. You can replace the VCast with your own animations with the same number of jpgs, just use the same file names. You can also use programs to split animated gifs into jpgs as well. I'm not sure about using fewer or more jpgs as I haven't gone into this too much. Source: HowardForums:DrkDad22
The information was taken from this website for the VX8300 but it works perfectly on the 8600: http://vx8300.blogspot.com/2006/08/free-wap-internet-on-vx8300.html
First you have to make sure that you can edit your WAP settings. By default they are locked. It is remarkably simple to unlock them.
- Connect to your phone using BitPim.
- Click View > View Filesystem. This will add a filesystem link to the left pane. Click on it.
- Navigate to /OWS in your filesystem. Right click on paramtable1.fil and save it to your hard drive. Keep an unmodified backup copy of this file in case something goes wrong.
- Open your new copy of paramtable1.fil in a hex editor. A good Windows hex editor is XVI32 (http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#download). A good OSX hex editor is 0xED (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/0xed.html). Change the third byte from "00" to "20". (Thanks to Rodstree for figuring this out.) Save the copy.
- Right click on paramtable1.fil back in BitPim. Overwrite it with your new modified version.
- Once the file is transferred, turn off and turn on your phone.
Now you have to update the wap settings to make them work with your proxy.
- Press OK to open the menu on your phone. Press 0, and then six more zeros to open the service menu.
NOTE: on newer firmware, you should enter: ##PROGRAM8600 (##77647268600) + send, then enter the six zeros.
- Press (8)WAP Setting
- Under Proxy Address Setting and Proxy Port Setting, you'll find Primary and Secondary configurations. The Primary Address goes with the Primary Port, and likewise with the secondaries. Edit the Primary and Secondary settings with the gateways of your choice.
- Change the Homepage to http://mobile.google.com or another suitable WAP homepage.
- Voila! Access the Minibrowser. Free WAP!
There are many ways to get a free proxy working. One that seems to be popular is HoTTProxy. You can also find free WAP proxies with a lot of patience, trial and error. Source: HowardForums:salparadi
Here's a great tutorial from randyman on HowardForums: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=938352