From HowardForums Wiki
- hidden requirement: must have an MS Windows desktop computer to use all the features on this phone.
- replacement battery: compatible with "NOK E52/BP-4L"
See discussion for details. In short:
SuperOneClick (for MS Windows)
Runs on a Windows desktop which connects to the phone in USB debug mode. It's written in a MS Windows-only language, and requires some hacking around with experimental tools to run on a proper platform like Mac or Linux. The linux support tools that will enable SuperOneClick to run are only available on 32-bit linux. So VMs or schroot will be needed to install the 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit host.
- 1.7 (works only for some users)
- 1.5.5, 1.9.1, 1.9.5, 2.0 b1, 2.1, 2.1.1 (untested)
- 2.2.1 (fails)
This is an app that runs directly on the device.
- 1.5.3, 1.6.1 (untested)
- 1.6.2 b5 (fails)
- 1.3 (fails)
- Fails - and requires Android SDK to even attempt installation
root the 2.3.7 firmware
- apply modified image - requires Windows XP
- Only one IP configuration possible, which must be manually changed every time access points change. This can be remedied by installing "IP Manager".
- Adobe Flash Player requires an ARMv7 instruction set, and the devices CPU has an ARMv6 instruction set.
- Gnash could potentially work, but currently it's a hack job
- Fortunately Adobe has dropped all support for mobile Flash players, so the need for Flash will diminish.
- Logging out of Google (and thus Market) is not possible. As a hack, sometimes rebooting the device, or toggling to and from Airplane mode will cause a logout, but there is no convenient or officially supported means to logout.
Synchronization (MS Windows-only)
- Nero Mobile Sync is a compulsory unremovable app for synchronization. It's MS Outlook-centric and only supports Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista and Windows 7. A separate but related app "Nero Backup and Restore" will backup some content to the SD card. The file format is ZIP (despite the ".bin" extension). The files within the zip are mostly proprietary (apart from APK-formatted app packages), and thus cannot be manually synchronized with a non-Windows platform. (Nero Mobile Sync manual)
security issues and bugs
application loss on shutdown
- Rebooting the device will cause some applications to become partially removed, leaving behind a dead link on the desktop. They generally must be reinstalled. Applications that have been previously removed will sometimes reappear after a reboot, and need to be removed again. Sometimes if an application disappeared after a reboot, another reboot will bring the application back. Factory installed apps do not appear to be affected by this bug; apparently only user installed apps are affected (seemingly at random).
this is partially true. only apps installed on sd disappeared, but it is enought to unmount e mount again sd to make visible this apps. by chamaruco
backups are blocked
Apps that are capable of completely backing up all data require root. Root access is not given, and acquiring it is unsupported. Users are therefore limited to only backing up bits and pieces that each app developer decides to implement. There is no workable solution that can restore the whole device.
contacts import broken
If the contact list is exported with 2.2 installed and then imported with 2.3 installed, the import fails. Thus the contact list is lost over upgrades.
craplets and trapped bugs (apps that cannot be removed)
Some apps cannot be removed. This means users are forced to accept some bugs (because there is no such thing as a bug-free app). The following apps hold the trapped bugs. The more controversial ones are in bold:
- Bluetooth share
- Bookmark Widget
- Download Manager
- DRM Protected Content Storage
- Dun Service
- Facebook (omitted in 2.3)
- File Browser
- FM Radio
- FQC Program
- Google Backup Transport
- Google Search
- Google Services Framework
- Home Screen Tips
- HTML Viewer
- Lockscreen Service
- Media Container Service
- Media Storage
- Muvee Video Editor
- Nero Mobile Sync
- Network Location
- News & Weather
- OMA DL
- Package Installer
- Pico TTS
- Rss Reader
- Setup Wizard
- Sim Toolkit
- Sound Recorder
- Street View
- System Update
- Terminal Emulator
- TTS Service
- Video Portal
- Voice Dialer
- Voice Note
- Voice Search
- VPN Services
- Wiper App
- Often hangs when "powering on" (tapping the on-screen power button - circular wheel never stops spinning). Noticed on: app.ver. 2.0220.01, android 2.2.2, kernel Apps_184.108.40.206, build 4027_3_500.
- Hangs when scanning for FM radio stations when there is no network connection to retrieve the callsigns. Noticed on: app.ver. 2.0220.01, android 2.2.2, kernel Apps_220.127.116.11, build 4027_3_500.
- The stock keyboard tool does not work with the Android Terminal Emulator (but the 3rd party SlideIt keyboard does). Noticed on: app.ver. 2.0220.01, android 2.2.2, kernel Apps_18.104.22.168, build 4027_3_500
Nero Mobile Sync runs when turned off
- When Nero Mobile Sync is switched off, it runs anyway.
sms message loss
- A false detection for lack of internal memory available causes inbound SMS messages to be rejected erroneously. The device could have 15MB of internal memory remaining (enough to store thousands of SMS messages) when it begins blocking SMS messages.
spyware (in the factory software)
- Google surreptitiously harvests the unique IMEI number from this device, and stores a record of it on their servers, which is linked to the users google account. The IMEI number is permanent and unchangeable. There is a rumor that flashing the firmware on some phones will change the IMEI number. But ROM flashing and rooting are both unsupported, and flashing the v350 ROM is potentially impossible (needs investigation).
- Refuses to update. Error: "This software version does not support OTA update." Noticed on: android 2.2.2, kernel Apps_22.214.171.124, build 4027_3_500.
This is just a wrong error message for "no updates available". The first available update should install.
- viewsonic site has announced they are going to update to gingerbread in december, posted by chamaruco
- Gingerbread update now available  (warning: this update breaks the home button)
- modified firmware is available (incl root and removed unwanted apps) german
YouTube is particularly risky, because users outside the U.S. are blocked from upgrading it. This means if a nasty bug is discovered, users cannot remove the app, nor can they upgrade it to a fixed version. They must accept whatever attacks exploit the bug.
It is possible to replace or remove some of the above apps with root access, but rooting the phone is not supported.
Viewscene fails to launch every time the device is booted, following the upgrade to 2.3. One must tap "retry" on every bootup to get it to work.
- PPTP does not work on any Android device to date. This serious bug was reported in 2009, and has not been acted on to date. Moreover, installing openvpn as a workaround is only possible on a rooted device.
- Graffiti is not an option, which means entry is slowed by having to fat-finger a qwerty keyboard (on-screen). Dmtrip 12:03, 16 September 2011 (CDT)
- Saving a favorite station requires manually entering the station name, even when the callsigns have been automatically retrieved from the network. Dmtrip 12:03, 16 September 2011 (CDT)
- All genre choices are only in Chinese writing. Dmtrip 12:12, 16 September 2011 (CDT)
- MAC address not changeable in the advanced settings. Dmtrip 12:03, 16 September 2011 (CDT)
- Only one static IP configuration possible, which is not bound to any particular SSID. Someone might have a need to associate different advanced network configurations to different SSIDs, but this is not possible. Dmtrip 12:03, 16 September 2011 (CDT)
- VPN tool does not support openvpn, only PPTP, L2TP, and IPSEC. Dmtrip 12:03, 16 September 2011 (CDT)
- Muffled from the built-in earpiece, crackly from the loudspeaker, decent from earphones. Dmtrip 03:35, 18 September 2011 (CDT)
Models (single sim)